Starting a Colorful Kitchen Re-do

I'm really excited because I finally figured out what to do with the big brown eyesore that is my kitchen.  Granted, it looks much, much better than it looked when we moved in, as you can tell from the photo below.  We upgraded the flooring, and replaced the old appliances, but the brown of the oak combined with the brown of the floors has just left our kitchen area looking really drab.  

   
Since we can't afford to replace our cabinets, we've decided to paint them.  Admittedly, I am not usually overly adventurous with color- I like neutrals paired with pops of color.  But I have come to realize that the only way to really make a difference in the kitchen, and to make it a little more modern, is to add a punch of color.  I really love the look of all white kitchens, but it's just not practical with a dog.  Therefore, we've decided to paint the upper cabinets a soft white, and the lower cabinets a shade of turquoise (exact color yet to be decided).  Below are some of the photos that are currently inspiring me...I can't wait to paint! 




Aren't those pictures gorgeous?  I'm so excited to add color to my kitchen! 

Would you ever paint your kitchen a bold color?

5 comments

  1. Turquoise is such a wonderful color. I've been wanting to paint my cabinets. I just haven't decided on a color. My floors are dark brown and my walls are a light sage color. My cabinets are your stereotypical prefab mobile home brown. I hate them. I want to paint them and put new hardware on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep sounds like you too are in need of some paint magic! Do you like the white look? That might look good with the colors you mentioned:)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! I am trying to convince DH that this should be our next project. Thanks for the collection of photos...a picture is worth a 1000 words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! And I agree with you about the photos:)

      Delete
  3. OMG I love kitchens!!! Already you have made so much progress, I can't wait to see it after a POP of color. I love turquoise; it and burnt orange are my accents in our living room!

    ReplyDelete