Kitchen Re-do Has Begun!

We finally started our kitchen re-do!  And by started I mean we spot tested some liquid sandpaper (no sanding! woo hoo!) primer, and color.  And by we, I mean my husband...I was supervising.  We really dislike sanding...hate it in fact.  So when my husband heard about liquid sandpaper, we were excited to give it a try (ok David was excited, I was skeptical...this is our normal dynamic, nothing new here:).  But lo and behold, it worked!  The liquid sandpaper/primer areas even passed my foolproof scratch test with nary a scratch to be seen (method includes scratching painted area with fingernail to ensure paint adherence...nothing but professional techniques for us!).

The liquid sandpaper we bought is called Klean-Strip Easy Liquid Sander Deglosser (we found it at Home Depot).  To use, all that's needed is to pour some of the clear liquid onto a cloth, and rub the cabinet with the cloth.  And...that's it!  It's also a good idea to paint a layer of primer over the deglosser while it's still a little bit tacky.  Once that's dry, all that's left to do is add a layer of paint.

Our testing efforts:


After I posted awhile ago about loving turquoise kitchens, I searched high and low for the perfect turquoise color.  Some were too light and pastel, some too blue, some too dark or grey.  I really thought that I wanted a light turquoise color, since it's so pretty, but in the end we realized a greener turquoise would work better (see it below).


The kitchen is starting to look brighter already, and I'm loving the changes.  I can't wait to finish painting it all!

4 comments

  1. Too bad I can't ship you my green Corian counter tops! The dark ban gong through the edge would go perfect with your paint choice. :) Thanks for the tip on the liquid sandpaper. I have some vanities I need to redo this summer, besides that hutch. Good luck on your projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah that sounds like it would match! We're hoping to redo the counters at some point but I'm not sure with what yet. I hope the liquid sandpaper works well for you:)

      Delete
  2. We just finished re-doing our kitchen and there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears that went into it, but I love how it came out!

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's so much work! Do you have pics up? I'm going over to your blog to check it out:)

      Delete