Don't Stress, Use Lavender!

I never really gave much thought to using essential oils until recently, but in my quest to use more natural products, I've discovered that they really are amazing.  I've also found that natural and organic products almost always serve more than one purpose (sometimes many more!) and happily that is the case with lavender essential oil.



When I initially bought my lavender oil a few months ago, I bought it to add fragrance to a homemade hand lotion (which I still haven't made, due to a shipment of rancid shea butter from Amazon...know your supplier!).  Fortunately, I quickly discovered the many versatile uses of lavender, and I don't think I'll ever go without it now.

Good quality lavender (I use the Edens Garden brand, which you can find here) is very potent stuff, and a few drops is really all you will ever need at a time.  For this reason you shouldn't be too put off by the price (the Edens Garden brand is affordable, but some can get expensive) because it really does last a long time.

There are so many benefits to using lavender.  Most commonly, lavender is thought to reduce nervous system activity, which means that it aids in stress/anxiety reduction and promotes calm and tranquility.  Because of this, it's a widely used sleep aid, and I can attest to its powers of relaxation!  Lavender is also used for headaches, to reduce inflamed skin, and is even reported to prevent hair loss when applied to the scalp in conjunction with thyme, rosemary, and cedarwood.

A few ways I use lavender:

1.  Mix a few drops in with bathwater...bliss!

2.  I rub a small drop on my neck when I'm feeling stressed or anxious, and breathe deeply.  It really  helps!

3.  Add a few drops to almond oil, and use as a relaxing massage oil (works best when someone else gives the massage;)

4.  Store a container of oil (such as almond oil) with a few drops of lavender, and use as a light moisturizer when getting out of the shower.

5.  I sometimes rub a drop of lavender onto the corner of my pillow case to help me sleep.

6.  Use as an organic perfume.

7.  Use on an insect bite or itchy skin to reduce redness and stinging.

Well, there you have it, the many uses of lavender...now go buy some:)  Do you have any tips for using lavender, or other essential oils?  I would love to know!

9 comments

  1. This is so funny that you posted this. I have lavender and tea tree oil but plan to really expand my oil collection. They can used for so many things are good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I know I'm not surprised anymore, we have so many similar interests! I use tea tree oil too lol and I'm going to a post on that sometime soon...I love all these natural remedies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know it had all these uses! Maybe now I SHOULD go buy some :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, let me know if you come up with any different uses!

      Delete
  4. I also really like ylang ylang oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, what do you use it for? I haven't heard much about using that one, I will have to look into it:)

      Delete
  5. I'm trying the bath water idea! I'm a huge fan of lavender; I sleep with a lavender pillow mist from Bath and Body Works every night. It's so relaxing and pleasant... just can't get enough! Stopping by from SITS :) Have a fabulous weekend!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from SITS Sharefest - I love the Blog....and as for lavender, it is one of my favorite oils. Love all the tips you have written out about using lavender as I am someone who does not sleep very well (love the dab of oil on the pillow!)

    Thanks and all the best!

    Jeanine
    A Fabulous Life in Jamaica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lavender. Visiting from Saturday sharefest.

    ReplyDelete