Dining Room Decor- Making it Modern

Thinking about my kitchen re-do has now got me thinking about my dining room....great in theory, (and practical if you actually have need of one) but for two people, not exactly a necessity.  This is where I now find myself.  Aside from the rare dinner party where we actually eat at a table (for some reason we usually end up eating on the couches, or standing, or pretty much anywhere but the dining room), we rarely use the room at all.  But alas, it can be seen from pretty much anywhere on our first floor, thanks to our open floor plan, and therefore I still need to complete the decor (and who am I kidding, I'll use any excuse to decorate!). 


We've completed a few basic changes since we moved in, like replacing the flooring, and swapping out the red paint for a white and dark grey combo (side note, apparently red makes you eat more, and blue makes you eat less- food for thought ;).  We also replaced the old light fixture with a modern chandelier, which my husband actually picked out.  He will readily agree that he's not exactly the artistic type, so I don't feel too bad in admitting my initial urge to immediately reject his decor choice, until I realized that the light fixture wasn't half bad.  In fact, we realized the hanging glass bubbles were a perfect match for our lamp in the living room.


Not bad at all:)  Listen to your husbands ladies!   In fact, the Paris picture in the background was a gift from my husband and friends, who, while I was out, put it up on the wall for my surprise 30th birthday party.  A risky move indeed (I guess I'm known for being picky!), but it paid off, because I love the modern vibe.

All that brings me to where I'm at now- left with a semi-decent dining room, although devoid of color (this was not intentional, just sorta happened), and in need of a few more decorative and functional touches.  I do like where it's going, but I'm not there yet. 


This dining room however, I am in love with.  I want to bridge the gap between the extremely colorful, and the monochromatic scheme I've got going on now.  Perhaps some colorful end chairs?  A bright or mustard yellow??  And switch out the white curtains for something bolder?  Oh, the possibilities.

5 comments

  1. Love your ideas! And the Perfect...Match picture made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did to your dinning room. So much in fact that I'm going to paint mine the same way and find a similar light fixture!! I showed Hubs and he agreed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley, I'm glad you liked it! You'll have to let me know how yours turns out:)

      Delete
  3. I love what you have done so far! A couple ideas: Some colorful plates on the wall on either side of the Paris picture, or on the opposite wall; Add colorful curtain panels on either side of the window that cover the walls on either side. This won't block the light from the window and it will give the illusion that the window is larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caren, those are some really good ideas:) I know I need some color in there, and I think your colorful plate idea could add a little bit of needed whimsy. Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete