Closet Organization is Pretty!! Seriously!

Ok I won't show you a picture of my closet, because it is so not pretty.  It's just one of those areas of my house that I don't even realize looks terrible because I'm so used to seeing it.  Isn't it funny how you can walk past something or see something every day, but never even realize it's there until someone calls your attention to it?  I do this all the time, and it drives my husband crazy...I'm not at all a details person unless it's regarding something I value...otherwise, forget it, I'll never remember it.  I'm especially bad with numbers, it took me at least a year of dating before I could remember my husband's birthday, and it wasn't for lack of trying or because I didn't value the information!  I'm just that bad with numbers...they get mixed up in my head.  Words, however, I never forget:)  Hey, we all have our strengths and weaknesses right?

My house is for the most part, relatively clutter free, but there are still a few areas where I overlook the disorder (overflowing hallway closet and bathroom vanity I'm looking at you).  I've been reading Lessons From Madame Chic by Jennifer L. Scott at The Daily Connoisseur, about the art of living well as learned from the French (interesting read, especially if you're a Francophile like me...and yet I've never been to France, so sad! but I digress).  In the book, Jennifer talks about the lessons she learned while living with famille chic in Paris, and one such lesson is regarding the clutter-free home the family kept.  Not just neat and tidy.  Clutter. Free. All. The. Time. 

Naturally I was inspired to find and transform the last bastions of clutter in my home, those areas that seem to attract it and which I can close the door on and forget all about (literally, I can close the door, since I'm mostly talking about every single closet in my house).  I'm starting small, but I'm going to attempt to organize our hall closet, and then actually keep it clean.  Keeping it clean will be the real challenge!  Anyway, I've gathered a few photos for extra motivation, since making a space prettier means you'll be at least 75% more likely to keep it clean (ok I made that up...but it has to help a little, right?).

Really digging the patterned wall inside this closet.


Love how the closet and rug match, it looks very pulled together.


This closet is so clean and bright, the wallpaper is so pretty and really makes it stand out.


Love the hooks on the door to hang purses!


I'm feeling inspired :)   How do you keep your closets organized?

2 comments

  1. I am in the process of re-thinking my closet space. I want to add a place for my shoes...I don't wear a lot of heels (so the 'hanging them on crown molding' won't work!)

    I do like being organized though, it helps me feel like I have a little control in my life of craziness! Found you on SITS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne:) I actually just saw an idea on Pinterest for hanging pantry shelves in a shoe closet. The lip keeps shoes from sliding out..not sure how difficult it is to install though. Good luck!

      Delete