Bed & Breakfasts (Not Just for Your Parents)

This past weekend my husband took me to a bed and breakfast for Valentine's Day.  This was our third stay at a B&B, and if you've never been to one, you need to go!  In fact, so many of my friends have asked me what I like about B&B's that I'm starting to wonder if they're not popular in my age group (my husband does like to call me a grandma for going to bed early, so maybe this falls in the same category!).  Regardless, B&B's are so much better than hotels.  

I was a little uncertain before my first stay at one a couple of years ago, mainly wondering things like "Am I going to have to be social with people I don't know before I've even had coffee??" (you're probably not antisocial like me;) but the answer to that is no, not if you don't want to).  All my reservations were put to rest during that visit, as soon as I walked through the door of the charming old farmhouse and met the sweet older couple that would be our hosts.  And on a side note, it was actually really fun chatting with the other guests.  I think this is especially true when staying in an unfamiliar area, because you're able to compare notes on where to go, what restaurants are good, and so forth.


 Our hosts for this stay were an older English woman and her daughter, who immediately welcomed us to our well-appointed guest room (more on this in a later post) complete with fresh flowers and homemade snacks wrapped up on a pretty china dish.  We were also welcomed to use the guest area of the house, which included a large living area with TV and couches, movies to watch, fireplace, and a book case filled with books.  Every day from 4-6pm, they would also set out various drinks, including wines from local Virginia wineries, several different types of cheese, fruit, and pastries.  Now what hotel does that (besides the really expensive ones)??  Additionally, they were more than happy to spend time pointing us toward all the local attractions and making recommendations, and sharing their insider knowledge of the area. 

(At the entrance to the gardens at Montpelier.  By the way, did you know that James Madison spoke 7 languages?  Now let's all put our TV remotes down in shame and go read a book.)

On top of everything else, we also enjoyed a delicious traditional English breakfast each morning, which included bacon, eggs, a sausage link (not your normal breakfast sausage link, we're talking bratwurst size!), baked beans, mushrooms, and a tomato.  Oh yes, and toast.  Needless to say, we couldn't eat it all.  There was also a continental spread of fruits, pastries, yogurt, and cereal.  Homemade, people.  By a sweet English grandmother.  Now tell me that isn't better than a hotel! The next time you're planning a trip, you really should consider staying at a B&B, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I had a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend, and I hope you all did as well (even if you were just sitting on the couch eating chocolates...that's fun too!).  I'll leave you with a picture of the beautiful pink bouquet of flowers my husband gave me...yes I'm spoiled, he's the best! 


What's been your experience with B&B's?  I'd love to hear about it!

6 comments

  1. So nice!! I love B & B's. We went to one on our honeymoon, and have gone to several since. It is funny to eat with folks you don't know, but like you said, you can converse as much as you want, or not. Glad you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's just like staying at a more friendly hotel:) I really wasn't sure what to expect the first time I went, but I'm glad we went, bc now I'm hooked.

      Delete
  2. I love B&Bs! I used to want to own one until I helped run one in San Francisco and it's a heck of a lot of work! I still like visiting them, though. What's funny is that I was at a new friend's house this morning right in my town and I was admiring her neighbor's house out her window and she said, "That's a bed and breakfast! Always booked." Then I found your blog off of SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I'm sure it is a ton of work, I was thinking about that when we were there, the ladies who ran the place were always doing something!

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a B&B, but I soooo want to go to one eventually. The one you went to sounds really nice! Stopping in from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice, I highly recommend going to one!

      Delete