Painted Black and White Staircase Reveal

I'm not a huge fan of oak in a house.  There, I said it.  And although my parents and a few other people tried to talk me out of it, I knew when we moved into our house that I was going to replace all the oak wood, starting with the staircase.  It's just not my thing...you know what is?  Yep, black and white.  I love a nice black banister, the straight sweeping line of black is so dramatic and just makes me happy to look at.

This is what our banister looked like before we painted it...not terrible, but kinda "meh":



The actual process of painting took a few days and several coats of paint.  Before painting we taped everything, and covered the floors and parts of the wall with plastic wrap.  After that we primed the wood (we used Zinsser 123 primer).  Once that dried, we painted the spindles with two coats of white paint, and followed up with the black paint on the banister and posts (which also took two coats of paint).


Amazing what a little paint can do for the look of a room, isn't it?  In fact, that wall is looking like it is in desperate need of some color...I feel a new project coming on:)

Happy painting!




12 comments

  1. Just what I need...another DIY! The paint REALLY made a BIG difference! Love it. Stopping in from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's really not that hard, you can do it:) Checking out your site, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks GREAT!! I too am not a big fan of oak, I love the high contrast of black and white, and I can't wait to see what color you choose for that wall that just cries for attention ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) I'm hoping to start on that wall soon, I never noticed how bland it was lol. Checked out your site, your pics are beautiful:)

      Delete
  4. Love it! Just painted my walls and now my bannister looks out of place...Great idea! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda Mae! Painting your bannister will definitely make a difference, well worth the effort:)

      Delete
  5. Wow this looks so amazing! I am going now to try and convince my husband we have to try this!!

    PS. Visiting from SITS - following you now!

    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Pia:) I'm checking out your site now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful transformation. I wish could do this but we have all hardwood that matches the bannister. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by.

    Kimberly @ mypinterestreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deirdre - love the way your stairs came out. I LOVE black and have heard that this was a big trend lately with railings. The finish on my handrail is actually started to wear off. I may have to do this, since it will match my bombay chest in the hallway. thanks for sharing. so glad I stumbled upon you. Going to check out your pinterest boards.
    Leslie
    www.thememorynest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! Did you use enamel paint or just latex or ? I'm wondering about wearability...I'm ready to paint mine!

    ReplyDelete