Making Your House a Home

Looking over my living room reveal post, I was reminded of something one of my friends mentioned when checking out our new house.  She was saying that she had spent time updating her house, but that it still didn't feel "homey" the way she wanted it to.  That got me thinking, what makes a house a home?  Of course more than anything, it's the people that live there.  But it's also the atmosphere that you create, what meets you when you walk through your door, the feeling your house gives you and others who visit.  

I'm not talking about having expensive furniture or having everything in your house look perfect, I'm talking about creating a space that makes you happy and is hopefully also calming, restful, and filled with love.  That said, these are my tips for making your house a home:

Keep things (relatively!) neat and tidy.  Maybe you're like me and clutter makes you crazy (only in my own house...somehow it doesn't bother me in anyone else's...maybe because I know I don't have to clean it??).  In that case, you don't need to be told the benefit of order.  But even if you thrive in clutter, you can make your house much more inviting by keeping a semblance of tidiness, or if you prefer, at least organized chaos:)  The office below is so neat and clutter-free, it almost makes me want to work...almost. 


Know the importance of form and function.  In other words, your house should be pretty, yet also functional.  All pillows and candles and picture frames in a living room but nowhere to set your coffee or computer or books?  Is there a place to put your shoes when you walk in, or hang your coat or drop your mail?  Decor shouldn't trump necessities, the things you actually use and that enhance how you live your everyday life.  The most welcoming houses are the ones that are obviously lived in...don't be afraid of showing that you live there!  I love Pottery Barn catalogues for precisely that reason- their rooms have such a wonderful lived-in feel: 



And finally: Give your house a personality...yours!  I'm a big believer that your house should reflect you (or you and your spouse, if they insist:). What is your style- contemporary, romantic, classic?  Sleek and sophisticated, like the photo below? What colors do you love?  Do you collect anything?  Do you travel?  All these things can and should influence how your house looks, whether that means displaying your love of the beach with a nod to nautical stripes and seashells, or showcasing your travels through various photos, textiles and objects from the places you've been.  If your house is filled with things you love, it's a lot more likely that you'll love your home, and others will enjoy your home more as well. 

Of course, the atmosphere you create through the relationships you build in your house will do more than anything else to make it a home, and your friends and family will no doubt desire to spend time with you there.  Unless you don't have any food or beverages, then they may not come around as often...but maybe that's what you're going for:) 

What tips do you have for making your house a home? 

xo Dee



5 comments

  1. My wife has done a great job turning our house into a "home". I love her for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Cheeseball.

    Reading this made me change my mind about one of the mirrors I have in the house. I'm feeling like moving it and putting a bunch of frames with family photos in it now, I think that will look better and really bring it home for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I think that would really make it more personal! I have a few mirrors around here that I should probably change out as well, come to think of it:)

      Delete
  3. I think good smelling candles like apple spice or vanilla also makes a house nice and homey! That's what I usually do when I have people over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! Quick question that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to
    find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this problem.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Thanks!


    Also visit my homepage; golden retriever breeders nj

    ReplyDelete